Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Week 2 Reading Overview

I have chosen to read the Public Domain Edition of the Ramayana, as it is free online and has illustrations that I expect will add to my appreciation of the story. However, if I were to find myself in a position where I was running short on time, this version of the story provides easy access to the audio version of the story. I plan listen to at least one section of the first reading, for the experience.

For the comics available at the Bizz, I would be interested in reading the Heroes of Hampi comic. The description for pages 5-9, the fact that Shiva marries Sati, but her father disapproves so he summons a warrior to kill her father. This description stuck me as one comparable to those of Greek mythology. I would like to compare these to see what similarities exist. Additionally, I want to read about Vali, King of Monkeys, who is also in this comic. I think the title "King of Monkeys" is so cool! Monkeys were tied with dolphins as one of my favorite animals growing up, so this character jumped out to me.

As a fan of monkeys, I'd certainly read stories about Vali, King of Monkeys.

I would also be willing to read the comic for Krishna and Shishupala, as the description of the story makes me think of Oedipus Rex and, because of the baby, the story of King Solomon. I read the whole description and (spoilers!) an absurd number of characters are beheaded. Who wouldn't want to read about a child born with extra arms and eyes that disappear when the child meets his future killer? This same child unknowingly leads to the death of tons of characters as well? This story sounds riveting.

For the videos, I would certainly watch Harry Potter meets Hindu Mythology and The Cycle of Dashavatar. These videos, like the comics above, make me think of things I can already relate to so that the difference in culture when starting to read these stories is not overwhelming. Yet, I also like the stories of powerful gods squabbling with one another. The first of these preferences is like wading into a pool at the shallow end. I think of the other like jumping off a diving board and doing cool tricks before diving in. Either way, I want to find an entrance to Indian epics that will make me appreciate them.


No comments:

Post a Comment