Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Feedback Thoughts

The first article I read was "Why rejection hurts so much- and what to do about it." I did not know that emotional pain can trigger the same response in the brain as physical pain. So being told something hurtful like "you're really bad at this. Just stop trying" is treated the same way as being punched! This article proposes the idea that because rejection is comparable to physical pain, insulting yourself or being upset with yourself only makes matters worse, as you are effectively harming yourself. Connecting with people to prove your self-worth to yourself is a much healthier response. Even telling yourself positive things about yourself that may be true in other aspects of your life can help.
Personally, I've come to accept that I am not perfect at everything. I may not be as physically strong as my buddy or have as much knowledge on a topic, but I know that I have strengths in areas my buddy does not. Recognizing those different strengths has helped me have a more positive outlook on life.

Being able to handle criticism and recognize your strengths can only make you stronger.

The second article, "How to Mentor a Perfectionist," highlights the fact that acting as a perfectionist is often valued by businesses in industry. This makes sense- mistakes can cost time and money, and admitting you don't know something could prevent you from earning raises or promotions down the road. Yet, there is a darker side to being a perfectionist. Perfectionists set personal standards too high and ceaselessly criticize themselves. Because of this, they try to prevent others from seeing their flaws, meaning they never have a chance to improve themselves based on peer feedback.
Trying to present myself as a perfectionist was really difficult when I was constantly changing schools during my middle school years. I thought it would make other people like me and help me fit in. Eventually I learned that it was just too hard to try to make others think I had no flaws. That realization made me a much better person. I stopped arguing with my parents. I made more friends. I had less stress over my school work.
I think of trying to be a perfectionist as carrying weights on your back all day, not because you want to, but because you want everyone else to think you are strong. It's simply not worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment