Sunday, January 12, 2020

Storybook Favorites

Storybook #1: The Demon King of Lanka, Ravana
Source

I liked looking at this storybook, as it gave me an idea as to what type of stories I will be reading this semester. I originally thought I was reading a true Indian epic because of the use of words like "thee" and "thy" and speaking patterns that the average person does not use in the modern day. I think that if I were to model my storybook like this, I would need to write a clearer introduction. The fact that this story takes place inside of a larger Indian epic was not clear to me until I read the end of the third story! Despite this, I thought this storybook was creative. The pictures were helpful in telling the story as well.


Storybook #2: Tales of Tails
Source

The fact that this storybook is about animals is evident by the title, which I appreciated. This storybook reminded me more of a child's storybook because each story stood independently, was short and succinct, and was proverb-like. For this reason, my ability to understand the stories was not affected by the fact that there was not an introduction. Choosing to write the storybook as a collection of short stories almost eliminated the need for an introduction. Beyond this, I liked that the author linked a YouTube video to provide sound effects during the reading of the first story. However, I would want to ensure that my pictures all appear correctly on the banner at the top of each page. I think this was the best of the three storybook examples that I looked at, and I expect that my own storybook will follow this short-story format.

Storybook #3: Looney Tunes Goes to India
Source

I chose to read this storybook because the title made me laugh in disbelief. This was certainly a creative idea, but I felt that the change from unique and memorable names and characters to silly Western cartoon characters did not serve the stories well. Despite knowing what the storybook would be about, I was left dissatisfied. The simple one-sentence introduction associated with a picture for each short story is a format that I liked and will likely use in my own storybook; I thought it was effective in making me want to read the stories. I also liked that pictures were used to break up the text in some of the stories, rather than appear simply on the side.

I liked the format of this introduction. I plan to use this format in my own storybook.

No comments:

Post a Comment