Monday, January 13, 2020

An Introduction to a Chemical Engineer

I have attended the University of Oklahoma since Fall 2017, which means I am currently a junior. I am majoring in chemical engineering. People often respond to that fact with "Oh. You're going to be rich" or "Following the money, I see." These people are often shocked when I tell them that I don't know what I will do with my degree once I leave school. Why? I chose my degree simply because I liked chemistry in high school and I looked up to my father, an engineer, as a child. I combined these two factors in the most common sense way possible, and I haven't looked back.

I hope to use my degree to better the world in some meaningful way- figuring out how to collect plastic waste from our oceans for reuse or working on making energy production more sustainable and efficient. If I were to find my dream job, I would be improving solar panels to the point that they can effectively be widely implemented and used for roads in place of asphalt. Just think- enormous swaths of highway could be replaced by solar panels, gathering electricity for people across the country to use. My role in such a project? These solar panels would need a material with enough friction for vehicles to drive on safely while not having too rough a surface that dust and dirt would be collected and prevent energy collection. It would also have to big thick enough that large semi trucks wouldn't crush the technology. The road would also have to exist in segments that could be replaced in the event that a certain panel breaks or something similar. There are so many factors to consider, and the challenge of such a problem is alluring.

If I can re-collect your attention after that show of nerdiness, I'll tell you more about myself. I grew up as a military child. With my father in the U.S. Army, my family moved within three years of living in any single place. For this reason, I lived in three different countries (if you count Germany, which we left when I was a baby), three different states, and nine different homes before attending OU. This caused me to attend five different schools in six years. Despite the educational consistency this moving prevented me from having, I've always enjoyed school. In fact, I graduated from high school as valedictorian of my class. This stems from the fact that I loved reading as a child. I remember devouring as many books as I could until high school and other activities began to require more time and effort. My favorite book has always been Eragon by Christopher Paolini.

My favorite book series

Cooper, my dog!

I have two siblings and a pet beagle at home. Cooper is an adorable puppy who loves to curl up with members of the family. Over the winter break, he would burrow under the blankets to watch football with the family.  Speaking of football, I am a die-hard Green Bay Packers fan. I've grown up following the NFL more than college football, though having back-to-back Heisman winners has piqued my interest. Though the last two years haven't been stellar for Packers fans, this year feels like the year. Just last night, they beat the Seattle Seahawks in the divisional round. My fingers and toes are crossed in hope for a Super Bowl run.

A few other odds and ends: I enjoy hockey- my team is the St. Louis Blues- during the time of the year that football isn't on. I detest baseball. I'm also a bit of a nerd, so I play Magic the Gathering from time to time. I value having a few close, great friends over having multiple friends that I'm not particularly close too. Given this fact, I'm not a particularly big fan of social media. My favorite food is barbecue. I don't go to the movie theater very often, but I went to see The Last Skywalker. The last show that I watched a full season of was Jack Ryan. Yet, now that the semester is starting, I won't watch TV, except for sports, until the end of the semester.

I'm excited for this semester!

21 comments:

  1. Oh, that is so cool about the solar panel roads, Caleb! It would be my great pleasure years from now to say, "Hey, Caleb worked on that! I knew him way back when....." I also grew up moving around (in my case, not military but just an ambitious dad who kept changing jobs); the longest I ever went to the same school was two years. Sometimes I'm jealous of people who had friends going back to first grade, but I can also see that it made me more adventurous, especially about education, and I'm grateful for that! Books were my best friends because, unlike human friends, they came with me when we moved. And that is also cool about Magic; there was a student in this class a couple years ago who was SERIOUSLY into that; I had never even heard of it before, so I learned a lot from him. I am sure that experience will be a very cool boost in your storytelling for this class. Maybe you will even do a Magic-inspired Storybook. So many possibilities! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Caleb,

    I really like your passion for what you do. I am a microbiology major, and also pre-med, and when people ask me why I chose the major I did (as it does not matter so much what you major in with pre-med) I tell them I like learning about it a lot and hope to make it my specialty! I also like your thoughts on how people think money is everything in a career - when I, too, personally believe it is more about doing what you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Caleb, a lot of cool stuff here. I came to OU at the same time as you. I am also a huge fan of reading and am a real fan of the fantasy/science fiction genre. I have two dogs and one sibling, a brother. My dogs are also big cuddlers, which is nice during football season. Growing up in Oklahoma for a while I am a bigger fan of college football. I still follow the NFL and am a fan of the Dolphins. I am also a fan of the Thunder here in Oklahoma. Looking forward to having class with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Caleb! That's cool that you're studying Chemical Engineering. I think that that's a good major to be in. That's really good that you want to better the world. I might be mistaken, but I believe that the different fields of Chemical Engineering are very location dependent. I think that Oklahoma is big on petroleum. So where do you think you would want to go after graduating?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Caleb! You seem like a very fine young man. Stay in school and you'll be sure to go far in life.

    P.S. What they did to the Inheritance Cycle with the first Eragon movie was an absolute travesty. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Caleb,
    I read through your intro, and I saw a picture of your dog. However, when I was reading, my brain thought you wrote “a pet beaver.” I think my brain was combining the word “beagle” with the word “over” right below, and I was like huh okay that’s weird. Despite the fact that I obviously have some reading difficulties, I really like to read, and I used to read a lot too. For someone who doesn’t have a definite career plan you sure do have a pretty well defined dream job. It sounds pretty cool and challenging, and I hope it works out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Caleb!
    First off, I thought your solar panel idea was amazing! I've never heard anyone talk about that idea before and you seem to have a lot of the logistics figured out! Second, I love to read too. When I was a child I wasn't really that social so I would spend all my time reading. Once there was a weekend where I read 7 books I was so proud. Are there any recommendations you have for me? I don't really read anymore but I want to! I really enjoy sci-fi and fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Caleb! Wow, you've lived such an interesting life! I can't believe that you've lived in 3 different countries and so many other places. I hope you've enjoyed getting settled at OU. And that's super cool that you're Chem-E! I had a lot of friends drop it (understandably)since it's a hard major, but it's great that you have such a passion for it. Your goals are really inspiring too. We haven't taken the best care of the environment and its resources, so it's important that we try to fix those mistakes. I wish you the best in your endeavors and this class!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caleb, growing up I also loved the Eragon books! Those and a lot of other books involving dragons took up so much of my childhood. You're the first person I've seen on here that also plays MtG. While I don't play often, I still hop on MtG Arena from time to time. I'm awful at the game, but it's still great fun! Looking forward to following your stories throughout the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Caleb! Join the rest of us juniors that are still wary as to what their paths are in the near future! However, I must say that the path of a chemical engineer is one that is rewarding and I think that if you do continue on this path, day by day, you'll eventually find the right path to take. Also, I remember when I read Eragon a long while back, and it's refreshing to see that familiarity in this post. I knew I wasn't the only one who really enjoyed that book. And your dog Cooper is adorable! I hope I get to see more of you throughout this class!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Caleb,
    Nice intro! I have seen similar ideas to your solar panel idea pitched in different tech communities I frequent (fellow nerd, CS major lol), so maybe we will end up seeing something like that and I hope you do get to work on it.
    I can relate on the military life, I got to live all over the southern US and spent 4 years in England when I was in elementary/middle school. Also a casual MtG fan, so hey, we have stuff in common.
    Good luck with these last 8 weeks of the semester, and the rest of your journey beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Caleb! I definitely relate to you! Currently, I am a senior in mechanical engineering and I came into the degree not for the money. Personally, I imagine it would be hard to go through the classes if my only reason for doing it was to earn a large sum after a few years. I think your goal with your degree is very honorable - we definitely need people who want to make this world a better and safer place for all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Caleb,

    I am so happy to meet another Eragon fan. My favorite book series is also the Inheritance Cycle. I still can't believe how badly they butchered the movie and how disappointed I was after watching it but whatever I'm not mad. I'm sure with a degree in chemical engineering finding a job in college won't be hard as even if you don't end up being a chemical engineer, it is a hard degree to get and says a lot about you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Caleb,

    I loved getting to read some about you. It is so cool that you enjoy reading, I think reading is one of the best ways to relax. Also, Eragon is such an awesome book. I think I read it in like three days because it was so good. I think your dream of using your degree to improve the world is so awesome, it seems challenging but you seem passionate enough to pursue it and I hope one day it works!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Caleb!
    I have never even considered the possibility of roads that are comprised of solar panels but that sounds so cool! That can see how that would be a really interesting job to take part in. I'm ashamed to admit that I started reading Eragon when I was in middle school but never finished it. I don't think it was because I didn't like it but because I was constantly too deprived of sleep to read much of anything back then. Maybe I should give it another chance.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Caleb!
    I can relate to your reasoning for choosing to pursue a degree in engineering as well as the comments and questions you generally get asked because of it. I'm currently a junior in mechanical engineering and am also unsure of how I'm going to use that in the future, so you're definitely not the only one. I think just looking for something you're passionate about and letting that lead you is the best approach to take though for finding a career. Your idea on solar panels being used as roads is fascinating, I'll definitely be thinking about that from time to time. Enjoy spring break and good luck with the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am also a Junior. I am also into sustainability. I do my best to be as low waste as I can. I plan on going into the medical field and I would love to find a way to help make it more sustainable as well!! More NERDINESS!! It is awesome to hear from someone in Oklahoma. I know too many people who love oil… What a CUTE PUPPY!!!!!!! Did you see Rise of Skywalker? I thought that is was the best they could have done to finish the sequels.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Caleb,
    I think your major is super cool. I have a lot of friends who are on their way to becoming chemical engineers. I have only been out of the country once when I was 3 years old so I am jealous and amazed that you have lived in 3 different countries! I LOVED the Inheritance Cycle and was obsessed with it for a good few years when I was a kid and I'm glad that you enjoyed those books too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Caleb,
    Super cool that you have such an interest in chemistry! I did not have a big interest in it in high school, but I have enjoyed it more in college. I hope you have gotten lots of snuggles from your puppy while we have had to be quarantined. I know the doggie love is the best part of being home for me. Of all the places you have lived, where has been your favorite? I think living in different places is so cool. I have only ever lived in Texas so experiencing different cultures would be the biggest thing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Caleb,
    I really related to changing schools when growing up. My family did not move around, but I attended 5 different schools before I got to OU. Many people do not understand how hard it is to be the new kid on campus where many other students already have established friendships. Also I really liked the picture of your dog! I have always wanted a Beagle!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Caleb,

    First of all, thank you so much for including pictures of your dog! It always makes me smile when I go to comment on someone's intro and they include pictures of their pets. I always find it so crazy how military kids (and others) move around so much. I lived in the same town and only a few different houses growing up so it is so interesting to me to hear things like this. Looking at it as an adult and from a (pre-service) teacher's viewpoint, I am glad that moving around so much did not affect the outcome of your education too much!
    I think it is awesome that you are a chemical engineering major, I really applaud you for that- I know its super tough! I think it is perfectly okay that you don't quite know what you want to do with your degree. That is what college is for- you have plenty of time to figure it all out!

    ReplyDelete