Monday, January 13, 2020

Time Strategies

I manage my time with a planner in which I have a running list of all the assignments I need to complete in a given week. I draw a little square and write the day of the week the assignment is due next to each of these assignments. Once they're completed, I put a check mark in the box and move on to the next item. I "start" my week each Saturday and begin working on those assignments the weekend before the assignment is due. Additionally, I go through each syllabus and compile a complete calendar of all quizzes, midterms, and projects- anything that will require additional effort or studying- for the semester. This method has worked for me in the past, as I have never taken a class that allows me to work ahead like this class.

I read the article "The Important Habit of Just Starting." I know for a fact that this is a bad habit I have. In fact, I had wanted to begin work for this class from the moment I first received an email from Laura. Yet, I made excuses, found other things to do, and convinced myself that I wanted every second of winter break before starting work for this class. Yet, now that I've started, I'm completing assignment after assignment. Honestly, it is somewhat fun completing these assignments and creating a blog now that I have momentum. Yet, it is creating that momentum that is my biggest problem. It's the same with going to the gym- I loved it when I was in high school sports, but now that I have to start over and do it on my own, it's much easier to make excuses.

I also read "The Myth of 'Too Busy.'" This article is also very true, as I have peers who always claim to be SO busy. They have to stay up until the early hours of the morning to finish all of their work. They become coffee-dependent zombies halfway through the semester, as they lose out on sleep to finish everything that keeps them SO busy. Yet, these are the same people who stare at their phone for hours straight, in and out of class. They create obstacles for themselves to overcome. 
The language within this article is insightful. Stating "I've chosen not to prioritize that" is so much more true than "I'm busy." I am living proof! Throughout the fall semester, I repeatedly told myself that I was too busy for so many things. Yet, I always found time to watch my beloved Packers and update my fantasy football team. Yet, I would find myself short on time to devote to my girlfriend or studying. It is simply a matter or priorities, as I clearly chose to not prioritize those things. I plan to make that change this semester.

Time Management- I've always made time to watch Aaron Rodgers.

I plan to stop telling myself I'm "busy" this semester. I will improve at starting things and improve my overall time management. Working ahead in this class is already great progress on this goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment