Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Topic Brainstorm for the Future Project

Potential topics for my project include:

Vali, King of Monkeys: Source

When looking at the comics earlier this week, this a character that stuck with me. King of Monkeys is such a cool title. I've also liked monkeys since I was a small child. I found that Vali is in part of the Ramayana. Thus, I will learn more about his as the semester goes on. I hope to learn what sort of powers Vali, as my understanding is that he is not a god. I know almost nothing else about Vali. I'm excited to learn how he is related to other gods and people in the Ramayana, and how he is inevitably beheaded (I am predicting this based on the sheer number of gods and people that seem to die by beheading). I imagine that I would write a story about his birth, any great battle he has, and likely his death as well.


Weapons of the Gods: Source

All great weapons have memorable names. King Arthur has Excalibur. Arya from Game of Thrones has Needle. Thor has Mjolnir or Stormbreaker. These weapons make those who wield them even more memorable, as the weapon can often be used only by that individual. This project would likely find the most destructive and violent gods and people from Indian epics and tell a stories about each character's great prowess in battle. I could also imagine a project made with Twine that allows the reader to choose a single weapon from a list and go on adventures with it. I cannot currently name any iconic weapon from Indian epics, though I would be more than willing to learn about them.

Does this art not make you want to read about a great battle?


Reincarnation: Source

With this project, I could dive deeper into a belief that has no comparison in my own religion. I have little knowledge on the topic, meaning that I could learn a great amount from this topic. I could follow a well-known, existing character, or attempt to create my own, and tell a story from the same character's point of view each time they are reincarnated as various animals or people. I would have to do much more research about the rules of reincarnation and beliefs surrounding it, but I could see this being a rewarding project. Even better, Vali is believed to have been reincarnated, so perhaps I could combine the two topics.


Brothers: Source

With two brothers of mine own, I understand that the relationship between brothers is complicated. Because brothers play a role in each of the major epics we read this semester, I do not feel that this would be a difficult topic. I would aim to show that one's brother can be someone's greatest enemy, teacher, and friend through different stories. I would want to re-tell stories from one brother's point of view to try to show that brotherhood can be a complex mix of emotions. Somehow, this also gives me the opportunity to write about Vali (monkeys, like brothers, are just awesome).

No comments:

Post a Comment