Saturday, February 8, 2020

Storybook Plan

I plan to do my storybook project on the topic of Vali, King of Monkeys.

Currently, my three sources are Wikipedia, Freebookapalooza, the PDE Ramayana we just read, and potentially the book that was recommended to me by Laura. If needed, I could also go to Bizzell and check out the comics that were mentioned early in the course.

There stories that I hope to include are about:
1. Vali fighting and defeating Ravana the demon king
2. Vali meeting and marrying Tara, creating a sense of jealousy in Sugriva
3. Vali's death by Rama's attack
4. Potentially the story of Vali becoming king of Kishkindha
5. Potentially the story of Vali and Sugriva's birth (this might be a stretch)

For my story telling styles, I think it would be really exciting to have at least one of those stories made in Twine where the reader can choose their own course of action from Vali's point of view. Otherwise, I plan to tell these stories from Vali's point of view. However, I am considering making the second story from the point of view of both brothers. Why? My understanding is that Vali was married to Tara and the Sugriva became jealous of his brother, but in the Ramayana, Sugriva stated that Vali stole his wife. Therefore, each brother has a different view point on the matter that could make for an interesting story. Given my plan of stories, I think that my project will be a series of stand alone stories that are only tied together by the fact that they all have the same main character.

It is my understanding that Vali is not a bad person. However, because of how he was portrayed in the Ramayana and the fact that Rama killed Vali, I feel that readers of the Ramayana would simply assume that Vali is a bad person. I mean, the good guy who has the powers of gods kills him, and someone so powerful and righteous wouldn't kill a good person, right? Wrong. I think Vali was a good person trying to live his life and that Sugriva deceived Rama into killing his brother for him. This is the point I want to get across in my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment