Thursday, February 6, 2020

Week 4 Story: Story Laboratory

This week I wanted to use Twine so that I can get comfortable with this technology before using it on an actual project assignment. I expect that I will want to use Twine because I can easily see the potential this technology possesses. I made my first Twine interaction focused on the NFL, as I thought that this was a straight forward and understandable way to utilize the abilities of Twine. Thus, I set Twine up recommend an NFL team to a fan hoping to find a team to root for. Simple questions then narrow the field before one of nine teams are recommended to the reader based on factors such as the team's current state, the team's historic success, and any notable players each team might have. I used the first question to sort all of the teams into three sets- two of these sets were entirely separate, but the third set could be reached by either answer to the first question. I liked how I could potentially set up the questions so that the same question could be reached by a number of different routes. I could also make questions loop back on one another.
I'm sure that if I use this to create a story in the future, I would make many fewer branching choices. Rather, I would probably treat the Twine link that takes the reader to a different page like the turn of a page in a real book. This would make the structure of the story much simpler and easier to follow. This could be especially useful to hide important details from the reader or build suspense by placing a single word on a page on the way to the climax of the story.

I am hoping that Twine allows simple links to work and that you like my first attempt using Twine!
file:///C:/Users/cbavl/Downloads/Testing%20this%20Goosebumps%20format.html



What team do you want to root for as part of America's greatest pastime?


No comments:

Post a Comment